What do mothers really want for Mother’s Day? Join us as we catch up with twelve mothers – recent mothers, soon-to-be moms with a baby on the way, and moms with kids who are fast approaching their teenage years – to find out! Nothing beats hearing straight from the horses’ mouths, eh?
Here are some valuable answers that shed some light on what to get for mom (husbands, do take note!) and provide a glimpse of what motherhood truly entails.
The mothers were asked these two simple questions:
- What do you really want for this Mother’s Day?
- What advice will you give to a new mother?
While the rest of you fellow mothers may find this so relatable, their insights may surprise some of you!
- Kai Qi, 25, an expectant mother for 5 months now, wants a body pillow to sleep more comfortably at night.
- Rachel, 32, a mother of a 6-year-old son and 4-year-old son, wants to go for a holiday. Her advice to new mothers? “Relax, don’t be too paranoid. You’ll have an easier pregnancy if you are relaxed too.”
- Carol, 35, a mother of a 6-year-old daughter, is lusting for a Céline handbag! Her advice? “New mothers must know that fathers have to be involved. They need to get their husbands to be equally active in parenting efforts. During the process of caring for your child, the father has to pull his weight as well.”
- Amy, 30, a mother of a 7-month-old baby girl, wants the freedom to head out for some me-time alone without worrying about taking care of her baby and her duties at home for just a day. Seeing that she’s a recent mom herself, she has this to share with new mothers: “Don’t worry too much and take things naturally. You will learn things as you progress. Don’t be anxious about reading parenting books. Just let nature take its course. Your motherly instincts will kick in and you will know what to do with your newborn when the time arrives.”
- Preeti, 41, a mother of two sons aged 10 and 12, values sleep and wants to be able to catch up on precious sleep on Mother’s Day! Her advice cannot be more apt! “Be prepared for the adventure!” she quips.
- Boon Yen, 47, a mother of a 13-year-old son and a 15-year-old daughter, loves her kids’ homebaked chocolate orange ganache cupcake! She appreciates her children’s efforts to bake something yearly for her along with a handmade card. She doesn’t mind receiving a bouquet of her favourite flowers of white roses or champagne lilies as well! Her advice? “For new moms, just relax and let whoever is taking care of the newborn to do the work. Mothers deserve the needed rest especially after confinement as there will be never-ending ‘midnight shifts’ and wake-up cries from your babies for at least the next 7-8 months, as well as endless worries over your children growing up, schooling and so much more!”
- Claire, 29, a mother of a 9-month-old baby boy, wants a small intimate dinner with her family to celebrate new life. Her advice to new mothers like herself? “Children are the worst before you have them and the best when you have them. Save on clothes, spend on accessories. Children outgrow clothes 2-3 times faster than accessories like milk bottles etc.”
- Chun Ting, 33, a mother of a 2-year-old boy, does not expect to receive any Mother’s Day present and instead, only wants to buy a gift in the form of a handbag or a dress for her own mother – after knowing firsthand how hard pregnancy really is! Her advice? “For working mothers, spend more time with your baby/child. They grow up way too fast!”
- Sheryl, 42, a mother of a 7-year-old boy, wants a holiday or if that is not possible, a massage chair to soothe those body aches at the end of each tiring day from the long hours of being a working mother. Her advice to expectant mothers? “Keep a positive mindset for the good of the baby and eat healthily.”
- Wang Ye, 27, a mother of a 10-month-old baby girl, wants a romantic candle-lit dinner with her husband while having someone to babysit their infant. Her advice to new mothers: “Don’t always hold your baby.”
- Esther, 32, a mother of two sons aged 8 and 11, wants to have an enjoyable outing with her family. Her advice to recent moms: “Spend time with the kids. They grow faster than you think!”
- Zhu Jun, 36, a mother of an 8-month-old baby boy and an 8-year-old daughter, hopes to spend the whole of Mother’s Day entirely with her newborn baby boy. Her advice to new mothers? “Share every moment of your pregnancy with your husband.”